REZAR ES BUENO PARA LA SALUD

Bombilla,no me malinterpretes.Solo te he mencionado el caso de tu pariente.Los creyentes rezamos para que Dios de fortaleza y ánimo a esas personas.Los ateos tendrán sus maneras y respetables.

Lucía Etxebarría dijo que ella cree en Dios por necesidad porque esta vida la supera, que ella sola no puede afrontar todo, y necesita creer, me gustó que lo dijera ella que es de izquierdas y nada conservadora.

A mí me pasa parecido, creer sólo en lo que vemos me parece descorazonador, y muy triste, yo necesito creer.

Yoga Mudras in Orthodox Christian Art: Does it indicate a Hindu-Buddhist Influence?

Yogic knowledge had spread far and wide in the ancient world. My research into the Olmec culture of Mesoamerica had revealed that the Olmecs were ardent practitioners of hatha yoga – a set of asanas or postures that balances and aligns the body, mind, and spirit.

A large number of religious icons of the Orthodox Christian Church depict Jesus, Mary, and the saints performing hand-gestures which correspond exactly to specific yoga mudras. This suggests that, meditation using yoga mudras may have formed an essential part of the spiritual practices of the early Church.

Before proceeding further, let me briefly explain the concept of yoga mudras. Yoga mudras are generally regarded as a component of hatha yoga. They comprise of a set of hand-gestures performed during meditation. The hand-gestures direct the flow of the vital energy (prana) to the different parts of the body through the energy channels (nadis). This helps to balance the five elements (Pancha Mahabhutas) which constitute the human body, namely - fire, air, ether, earth, and water. In Ayurveda, it is believed that imbalances in these five elements results in various diseases. Yoga mudras not only regulate and strengthen the physiological functions of our body and assist in healing, but also provide a number of mental and spiritual benefits for the practitioner.

The following set of images illustrate the 10 yoga mudras that I was able to identify in Byzantine art. There must be many more mudras waiting to be found out.

1. Prithvi Mudra

The Prithvi (Earth) Mudra is performed by touching the tip of the ring finger with the tip of the thumb. The mudra is very efficient at strengthening and healing the body. The mudra also activates the root chakra, which promotes a sense of stability and self-assurance.

Fig 1: The Prithvi Mudra

2. Prana Mudra
Prana Mudra is called the Mudra of Life. It is given immense importance in the yogic practice for it can heal more than a hundred different kinds of diseases and health conditions.

The Prana (Vital energy) Mudra is formed by touching the tips of the ring finger and little finger with the tip of the thumb. The mudra increases the flow of prana in the body, which strengthens the immune system and gives the body the resilience to heal itself. The mudra activates the root chakra which promotes stability, calmness, and self-confidence.

Fig 2: The Prana Mudra

3. Apana Mudra (and its variation Karana Mudra)
The Apana (Descending Vital energy) Mudra is formed by touching the tips of the ring finger and middle finger with the tip of the thumb. The mudra regulates the excretory systems of the body. It detoxifies and purifies the body, and also helps in digestion.

Fig 3: The Apana Mudra

A variation of the Apana Mudra is called the Karana Mudra, in which the ring finger and middle finger are folded but their tips do not touch the tip of the thumb. Sometimes, the thumb might hold down the middle and ring finger. The Karana Mudra is believed to dispel negativity and obstacles, and ward off the evil eye.

Although I could not find any representation of the Karana Mudra in Orthodox art, the mudra is still popular in Italy and some Mediterranean countries where it is called the Corna (phonetically very similar to Karana). The Corna has the same function as the Karana Mudra i.e. it wards off bad luck and offers protection in unlucky situations. In popular media, the Corna is sometimes interpreted as a "satanic symbol", which is quite certainly an idea propagated by people with hyperactive imaginations.

Fig 4: The Karana Mudra

4. Shuni Mudra or Akasha Mudra
The Shuni (Saturn) Mudra or Akasha Mudra is performed by touching the tip of the middle finger with the tip of the thumb. The mudra generates awareness of our inner divine self, and promotes living in the present moment. It also encourages compassion, understanding and patience towards others.

Fig 5: The Shuni Mudra or Akasha Mudra

5. Dhyana Mudra
The Dhyana (Meditation) Mudra is performed by sitting in a cross-legged position (preferably padmasana or sukhasana) and placing the hands on the lap, one on top of the other, such that the thumbs touch at the tip. This mudra stills the mind and helps one to build the one-pointed focus which is essential for meditation.

This Byzantine icon of Jesus shows him meditating in the Dhyana Mudra posture, seated on a double-lotus under a mustard tree, with a conspicuous protuberance on top of his head. The Buddhist influence in this imagery is palpable. The Buddha is frequently shown seated in Dhyana Mudra on a double-lotus throne. While Jesus is seated under a mustard tree, the Buddha is often shown seated under a Bodhi Tree – the place of his enlightenment. The red protuberance on Jesus’s head corresponds to the topknot on Buddha’s head called ushnisha, which was represented as a crown-jewel radiating rays of light or as a flame signifying the Buddha’s spiritual power and illumination.

Fig 6: The Dhyana Mudra
6. Surya Mudra (Agni Mudra)

The Surya Mudra / Agni Mudra is performed by folding the ring finger and pressing the second phalanx with the base of the thumb. This mudra has a therapeutic effect on digestive disorders, and helps to lower body fat and bad cholesterol.

Fig 7: The Surya Mudra / Agni Mudra

7. Anjali Mudra
The Anjali Mudra is the “Namaste” gesture. It is formed by bringing the palms together in front of the chest, such that the thumbs rest lightly against the sternum. The mudra brings together the left and right hemispheres of the brain and makes us aware of our divine essence. This releases stress and anxiety, and promotes respect for others.

Fig 8: The Anjali Mudra

8. Abhaya Mudra
The Abhaya Mudra is performed by raising the hand with the palm facing outwards. This mudra is performed by deities and spiritual masters to dispel fear and afford divine protection to the devotees. The open palms radiate the silent will and vital energy of the spiritual master.

Fig 9: The Abhaya Mudra

9. Varada Mudra
The Varada Mudra is performed by holding out the hand, palm facing outwards, with the fingers pointing downwards. This is a boon-bestowing gesture, and symbolizes the act of bestowing blessings and charity. Like the Abhaya mudra, this mudra is performed by deities and spiritual masters, whose divine energies are directed outwards through the open palms. The Abhaya Mudra and Varada Mudra are often performed together, one with each hand.

Fig 10: The Abhaya and Varada Mudra

10. Ardhapataka Mudra
The final mudra in this list is the Ardha-pataka Mudra, which appears in both Orthodox and Buddhist art. In this mudra, the ring finger and little finger are folded while the others are kept upright. It is believed that performing the mudra enables people to free themselves from the nuisances in their lives.

This mudra generally does not appear in the traditional list of yoga mudras, and its knowledge and practice seems to have been limited. The term Ardha-pataka is used for this mudra in the Indian classical dance, Bharatanatyam. It is possible that this mudra had a different name in the context of yogic practice in the ancient times.

Fig 11: The Ardhapataka Mudra

Evidently, a large number of yoga mudras are depicted in the religious icons of the Orthodox Christian Church. It is interesting that the term “Orthodox” means “right belief” and Orthodox Christians consider themselves to be the inheritors of the “true faith and Church” passed on in its purest form. They claim to have maintained the original teachings of the Apostles, and preserved the correct form of worshiping God.

This implies that meditation using yoga mudras must have formed a core part of the spiritual practices propounded by Jesus and the Apostles. Most of the Orthodox icons were created from the 6th century AD till the fall of Constantinople to the Ottoman Turks in 1453 AD. Therefore, the knowledge of these yoga mudras may have persisted within the Orthodox Church till the 15th century AD. In the present day, however, most scholars do not seem to be aware that these hand-gestures are yoga mudras, and instead refer to them generically as signs of blessing.

The relative abundance of the different yoga mudras in Orthodox art reveals that particular emphasis was placed on two specific yoga mudras – the Prithvi Mudra and the Prana Mudra – for they appear in the largest number of icons. While the Prithvi Mudra strengthens and heals the body, the Prana Mudra strengthens the immune system, which gives the body the resilience to heal itself. Both the mudras also activate the root chakra which promotes a sense of tranquility, stability, and self-assurance.

Since, both the Prithvi Mudra and the Prana Mudra are extremely effective “healing mudras”, it helps us to understand why they have been accorded so much importance in Orthodox art. The Gospel records tell us of the presence of a multitude of sick people in Palestine during the time of Jesus, and how they were brought in great numbers to Jesus to be healed. In fact, healing all manner of sickness and disease was characteristic of Jesus's ministry. It is possible, therefore, not only did Jesus heal the sick people, but he also taught about yoga mudras, so that they would remain healthy and energetic even when he was gone. ...

http://www.bibhudevmisra.com/2017/11/yoga-mudras-in-orthodox-christian-art.html

Beltane ,hija,que bonito correo,has dado en mi punto debil:San Judas Tadeo y Santa Rita.Como nos pongamos las dos a hablar de milagros,no vamos a parar,y si,son milagros,porque cuando son cosas imposibles,pero imposibles y las pides y suceden,son milagros y Dios nos está revelando su presencia a través de San Judas Tadeo y Santa Rita.
Yo para agradecerle, he empezado a hacer una cosa que piden en sus novenas: extender su devoción.He empezado con San Judas Tadeo,en el pueblo de mi madre,hace dos veranos, regalé una figura de Judas Tadeo,y el sacerdote en la misa empezó a hablar de él,ya había quedado previamente,al terminar repartí su oración.No había devoción por Judas Tadeo y desde aquel día me dijo el cura que el único que tiene a diario velas es él.Este verano lo volví a hacer.Y tengo varias ideas en mente.
¿Has ido alguna vez a " las rosas de Santa Rita"?

Si sueñas con la Virgen indica que estás iniciando un periodo nuevo y bello en tu vida,de interesantes proposiciones,estás dispuesta a pedir sin dar nada a cambio.
Te sientes purificada,bien contigo misma,has dejado atrás un periodo de turbulencia,de indecisiones,en el que no sabias que camino tomar,hacia donde dirigir tus pasos.Confiaran en ti para algo importante
También soñar con la Virgen es el símbolo del perdón de las faltas que se han cometido hasta entonces.
No conozco tu vida,así que ,espero que esto te sirva y que descubras tú el mensaje.

Hola Isabella, me encanta tu mensaje. Sí que es cierto que tras soñar con María tuve un período de muchísima paz, ha sido un año tranquilo, pacífico, terapéutico, y es tal como dices: tras haber vivido una guerra total, muchas pruebas, obstáculos, ya no podía más. Y no soy especialmente devota de "la virgen" yo la llamo María, soy creyente en Dios, respeto la figura de María pero no creo en su leyenda de virgen como nos la han contado, aún así, confieso que mis abuelas eran devotísimas de la Virgen del Carmen y ésta propició muchísimos milagros. Confieso también, que tras aquel sueño, me siento más cercana a su figura, aparte que Nuestra Señora del Carmen es una de las advocaciones más bellas de María, me gusta especialmente.

Qué voy a contar de San Judas Tadeo, para mi es ÉL el milagro en mi vida, las mayores maravillas me trajo tras solicitar su intercesión, no hay cosa que le pida que no me conceda y si no me la concede es porque no debe ser y ya está, o bien porque lo que va a ocurrir es diferente a lo que yo creía. Quiero muchísimo a San Judas, lo mío con él es especial, además que vino a mi vida en el momento más indicado, como si él viniera a buscarme a mi para que ayudarme, yo lo le busqué, fue al revés.

Santa Rita obró un milagro gordísimo, y lo anunció a través de una rosa. Yo trabajaba cara al público cuando le solicité el milagro, que yo fíjate, dudaba que se llevara a cabo (algo muy difícil). Tenía que superar en examen que sólo sería aprobado tras un milagro, y así fue: el día antes del examen vino una chica a pedirme ayuda en mi trabajo y me pidió dejar una rosa en el mostrador porque no podía con la carga que llevaba encima; dejó la rosa roja y cuando la vi me recorrió un escalofrío por la espalda. Me tranquilicé inmediatamente, en ese momento supe que mi examen estaba aprobado, al día siguiente, como si el mismo lo estuviera haciendo otra persona de la facilidad con la que se efectuó la tarea. El examen me valía para un trabajo específico de lo mío, y aquella mañana fue superado con felicitación de los que examinaban en el tribunal por mi parte.
Por aquellos tiempos se nos exigía tener una especie de capacitación, un sacacuartos supremo por el que había que pasar en mi gremio, y había que hacerlo sin más, luego eso no sirve para nada, y encima era difícil de narices superarlo. De hecho no he vuelto a usar esa materia en mi vida y ahí tengo el papelito que acredita esa cosa, pero no sirve de nada. Había que pagar una pasta además. Dicho y hecho, del milagro de Santa Rita no me olvido en la vida. Le agradecí el gesto llevándole yo otra rosa roja, como le prometí.

No he ido a las rosas, en Italia eso es una fiesta, tiene muchísimos devotos, como es normal. Ambos santos obran puros milagros.

Lucía Etxebarría dijo que ella cree en Dios por necesidad porque esta vida la supera, que ella sola no puede afrontar todo, y necesita creer, me gustó que lo dijera ella que es de izquierdas y nada conservadora.

A mí me pasa parecido, creer sólo en lo que vemos me parece descorazonador, y muy triste, yo necesito creer.

Pero no creer porque la vida te supere, a Dios se le ama porque es Dios y nadie más debe ser alabado, y no usarlo como "herramienta" de ayuda: es el mejor amigo que podamos tener. Me de lo que le pida o no, yo le quiero igual, todos vamos solos por la vida, yo no creo eso, no estoy sola porque Dios está conmigo.

Bombilla,no me malinterpretes.Solo te he mencionado el caso de tu pariente.Los creyentes rezamos para que Dios de fortaleza y ánimo a esas personas.Los ateos tendrán sus maneras y respetables.
A mi me parece bien que cada uno rece para sí mismo ¿pero rezar por otros que no se lo han pedido y que posiblemente no creen en eso?¿qué te parece si estás enferma y un pariente te dice "Pues he hecho una güija para que te cures"?
Y que decir de esos capellanes que hay en todos los hospitales y que se meten en las habitaciones de los enfermos a dar la brasa, aprovechando que están postrados en la cama y les ofrecen oraciones, consejos y hasta sacramentos; para darles una hostia sin bendecir.

A mi me parece bien que cada uno rece para sí mismo ¿pero rezar por otros que no se lo han pedido y que posiblemente no creen en eso?¿qué te parece si estás enferma y un pariente te dice "Pues he hecho una güija para que te cures"?
Y que decir de esos capellanes que hay en todos los hospitales y que se meten en las habitaciones de los enfermos a dar la brasa, aprovechando que están postrados en la cama y les ofrecen oraciones, consejos y hasta sacramentos; para darles una hostia sin bendecir.

la ouija es satanismo, cómo se nota que no sabes nada de espiritualidad, te tengo ignorada pero he leído tu comment por curiosidad y mira, si no rezas, no crees y tal por qué pretendes disuadir a las que sí lo hacen, tanto te irrita lo sagrado????

Pos ala, hay en el foro mil hilos mundanos, te esperan con los brazos abiertos...

Los ejemplos que pones no son comparables.Si yo rezo por ti en algún momento porque tú cuentas algo de una enfermedad y tú no me lo has pedido,esto invocando a una deidad que es amor y bondad.
La guija pertenece al lado oscuro,ni siquiera los que la practican están seguros en algunas sesiones de que o quien puede aparecer.

Bombilla,respeto que tú seas atea,pero,creo, que tienes una visión equivocada de la oración .

Por cierto,debes actualizarte,los capellanes y curas que hay en los hospitales no pueden pasar a ninguna habitación sin permiso de los enfermos o familiares.Es más, tienen un pequeño espacio en los hospitales y ahí debes acudir para solicitar que visite a un enfermo.