Talita Von Fürstenberg

talita-von-furstenberg-headshot.webp

Talita von Furstenberg Joins the Family Business With Her New Brand, TVF for DVF
APRIL 23, 2019 7:15 PM
by STEFF YOTKA
1/6
Photo: Courtesy of Diane von Furstenberg
  • Diane von Furstenberg, however, doesn’t need to look far for her own under-30 advisement. Her 19-year-old granddaughter, Talita von Furstenberg, has been by the designer’s side since her birth—and has been waiting to try her hand at design for about as long, too. “Even since I was literally six years old, I’ve been asking my grandma if I could design TVF for DVF,” the younger von Furstenberg tells Vogue over the phone. “I’ve just always wanted to do it.” Now her dreams are coming true, with the launch of her own collection, aptly named TVF for DVF.

TVF’s capsule collection will launch tomorrow, with 23 whimsical pieces that align with the freewheeling wanderlust of a 19-year-old’s life and wardrobe. There are easy day dresses in botanical prints, ruffled little frocks in pale lilac, and button-front tops with blouson sleeves that are prim enough for a graduation party and casual enough for jeans. “You don’t need to over-style it. You don’t need to buy a specific pair of shoes to wear the dress. I think simplicity is so nice,” TVF says of her design ethos. “DVF, my mom, and my other grandma have always told me that confidence is key, and that when you feel really strong in something, that’s when you look the most beautiful. That’s really what I wanted to get with TVF: simplicity, beauty, and something you can feel really confident in.”

What you won’t find in TVF’s first collection is the item that put DVF on the map: the wrap dress. “Originally, TVF for DVF was supposed to be a play on the fact that all these new, young brands are doing wrap dresses, and we need to bring it back to DVF. It was going to be a collection of only wrap dresses,” she says, explaining that the idea was scrapped in favor of trying something new (though there will be a wrap or two in her Fall collection).

Talita and Diane von Furstenberg in Florence in 2008

• The 19-year-old designed the collection in between classes at Georgetown University, where she is a sophomore studying business, and without much insight from her famous, fabulous grandmother. “We really keep it separate, because I didn’t want her to influence my decisions since I value her opinion so much. I really would have changed everything based on what she said,” TVF explains. “She actually didn’t see the clothes until they were produced. She had some criticisms, so we made some adjustments. She likes to get me stressed out,” she laughs. “I feel like that’s just a parental instinct.”

Occasional design disagreements aside, TVF says she and her grandmother are essentially inseparable. “We actually speak to each other non-stop on text all day long. She calls me at least three times a day. I think we just get each other a lot on a personal and professional level,” she says. So will we see DVF in a TVF dress any time soon? “No!” her granddaughter laughs. “She has a very distinct style; I’m not sure these are for her.”

Back