Entrevista con Sarah Ferguson

Calificaciones
Sarah Ferguson ha concedido una extensa entrevista al Daily Mail.

Aquí la versión original:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/...w-Im-divorced-Fergies-interview-20-years.html

'I'm not divorced from Andrew - I'm divorced TO him': In her first full interview for 20 years, Sarah Ferguson discusses her weight issues, complex personal life, Eugenie’s wedding... and THAT remarriage gossip
  • Frances Hardy spent two days with Fergie to gain an insight into her character
  • She reports that Fergie is back, with her sense of mischief and fun undimmed
  • She discusses Prince Philip, the Queen, Jack Brooksbank and Prince Andrew
  • Fergie also opens up about her years in the wilderness and body image battles
By FRANCES HARDY FOR THE DAILY MAIL

PUBLISHED: 22:06, 9 November 2018 | UPDATED: 23:32, 9 November 2018

Only the coldest of hearts could fail to warm to Sarah, Duchess of York. Dotty and generous, she is bursting with energy and child-like joie de vivre.

‘Oh, I am in every way a child,’ she agrees, in that ‘posh but not plummy’ voice we remember so well from when she first burst into the Royal Family like a flamed-haired wrecking ball in the 1980s.

‘It’s who I am. It gets me into endless trouble. People think you’re impossible or difficult if they can’t relate to you, if you don’t take life seriously. But the key to me is that I look at life with a child’s sense of excitement and joy.’

Doesn’t she just. Who didn’t fall in love with her all over again (while holding a nervous hand over our eyes) watching her at her younger daughter Princess Eugenie’s wedding to Jack Brooksbank last month. There she was, breaking with protocol yet again to hug well-wishers in the crowd before entering St George’s Chapel, Windsor Castle.

And flumping down in her pew — mouthing to Princess Beatrice that she couldn’t hold her tummy in any longer — before waving and beaming at friends in the congregation.

5998248-0-image-a-47_1541799158080.jpg

Fergie is back, her sense of mischief and fun undimmed: enveloped again in the public embrace, reconciled with the Royal Family after years in the wilderness

That beam told us that Fergie is back, her sense of mischief and fun undimmed: enveloped again in the public embrace, reconciled with the Royal Family after years in the wilderness.

Last week, I spent two days with her and this unprecedented interview and rare access — the most extensive in decades — gave me a singular insight into her character.

She speaks about her divorce from the Prince, which continues to baffle and fascinate 22 years after they stopped being man and wife — ‘We’re the happiest divorced couple in the world. We’re divorced to each other, not from each other.’

She describes, with magnanimity, those wilderness years which left her in the surreal situation of having to watch her own daughters on TV every Christmas, as they joined the Royals at Sandringham, while she remained banned.

‘I will watch Ben-Hur and really enjoy it, then watch the news and see how the girls are doing.’

And of course, she shares with me the thrill every mother-of-the-bride feels as she watches a daughter marry. She’s still fizzing with excitement.

‘I always went to weddings and thought: “Why is the mother-of-the-bride crying?”’ she tells me. ‘But I completely understand why now. It’s because it’s so amazing to think your daughter is now grown up, leaving home and starting her own life.’

‘I’d just sat down in the chapel and everyone saw me go “Phew” because I’d managed not to slip over in my high heels; then I looked across and saw my sister (Jane) and I watched her face and there were tears — and I’m doing it again, I’m welling up now,’ she says, dabbing at her eyes with a polka-dot hankie.

Now in her 60th year, her natural Titian red hair is untouched by grey, her stunning legs still slender as a gazelle’s — and her endearing eccentricities unstifled by years of inhibiting royal protocol. Sarah Ferguson remains magnificently, unapologetically, herself.

The wedding, on October 12, was a day of extravagant celebration in which every carriage disgorged an eminent guest or a celebrity, and absent loved-ones — prime among them the late Princess Diana — were at the forefront of the Duchess’s mind.

5998242-0-image-a-50_1541799197557.jpg

‘I always went to weddings and thought: “Why is the mother-of-the-bride crying?”’ Fergie said. ‘But I completely understand why now'

‘I thought of absent friends and family; of Diana — but she’s with me all the time. What I miss most is her tinkling laughter.

‘Diana was my best friend and the funniest person I knew. She had such timing and wit. It was a total joy to be with her because we just laughed and enjoyed life so much, and I know she would have loved the wedding.’

Heading the panoply of senior royals were the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh, who attends events on a ‘see how he feels on the day’ basis now, and was in close proximity with his former daughter-in-law for the first time in 25 years.

It was said he couldn’t stand to be in the same room after Fergie ‘brought shame’ on the Royal Family with those infamous photos of her having her toes sucked by American businessman John Bryan, in the summer of 1992, while separated from Prince Andrew.

But the Duchess’s gaze, of course, was fixed firmly on her daughter.

‘My proudest moment,’ she says, ‘was watching Eugenie standing tall, very proud to show her scoliosis scar in her low-backed dress. I’d gone to all the fittings and sat there beaming with delight, and because there was no veil it was a very strong statement.

‘We rang St George’s Chapel to make sure there wasn’t a special rule specifying veils must be worn, but there wasn’t and Eugenie just wanted to be herself.

‘The tiara (borrowed from granny) danced to her. She was just so radiant. She said: “Mum, I thought I was going to get nerves,” but she didn’t.

‘She and Jack are just meant to be. He adores her, and now I’ve got a son. Jack is like Zebedee. Boing, boing!’ She demonstrates the energy of the Magic Roundabout character on his coiled spring.

‘He will be the best consort there is, as Prince Albert was to Queen Victoria. I know it will be that sort of love match.’

There were many private moments in the chapel, the Duchess admits, when her eyes blurred with tears, and there were subtle ways in which she carried the spirit of loved ones with her.

5998256-0-image-a-51_1541799230197.jpg

Princess Eugenie and Jack Brooksbank in the White Drawing Room, Windsor Castle. With them are (L-R) Back row: Thomas Brooksbank, Nicola Brooksbank, George Brooksbank, Princess Beatrice, Sarah, Duchess of York, the Duke of York. Middle row: Prince George of Cambridge, Princess Charlotte of Cambridge, Queen Elizabeth, Prince Philip, Maud Windsor, Louis De Givenchy. Front row: Theodora Williams, Mia Tindall, Isla Phillips, Savannah Phillips. Alex Bramall

Her father always encouraged her to think of the back-room staff. ‘He said: “Remember the kitchen is more important than the dining table” so I made sure the chauffeurs’ tent had lots of nice notes, coffees and biscuits, and I put my father’s photo up as I knew he’d be saying, “Well done”.’

Major Ronald Ferguson died in 2003 and his first wife Susan — Fergie’s mother — was killed in 1998, aged 61, in a car crash in Argentina, where she lived with her second husband, polo player Hector Barrantes.

The vintage Manolo Blahnik bag Fergie held at the wedding belonged to her mother.

‘Mum had carried the handbag at my wedding to Prince Andrew and the admission tickets were still in it. They were green — which was why I wore green on the day.’ And the elderly woman in a wheelchair whom Sarah embraced in the crowd outside the chapel, was her mother’s friend, Jessie Huberty.

5998244-0-image-a-52_1541799604071.jpg

Sarah Ferguson, Duchess of York with daughters Princess Beatrice in a peach chiffon dress and Princess Eugenie in an eye-catching red number

‘I’d gone to live with her in New York for six weeks when I was 19. My father had said, “You’re too spoilt. You have to work your way round America” — so I stayed with Jessie and got a job cleaning lavatories to earn enough to get a Greyhound bus ticket.’

Standing near Jessie was Nepalese Sherpa Gyalzen (Sarah also hugged him warmly), with whom she had climbed beyond Everest base camp in 2000 for the MacIntyre charity, which supports people with learning disabilities.

The sherpa, who worked for the Duchess for a few years after this, now lives in New York with his wife and son, and had travelled to Windsor specially to witness Princess Eugenie’s big day.

Fergie on....

...Dieting
'I know what it is like to be destroyed by self-hatred, because when you comfort eat you put on weight, and then beat yourself up'

...Diana

'She's with me all the time. I miss her tinkling laughter - she was my best friend and the funniest person I knew'

...Love for Andrew

'We both say it. I married the finest man, the best father and the best-looking prince'

...Her parents' divorce

'I found out in 1974 through a newspaper. I remember thinking I was responsible - because I wasn't good enough'

For the party at Royal Lodge on the Saturday, where food was served from a series of stalls, each dish was chosen for its special significance to the newlyweds and their families. There was Argentinean beef — in memory of Susan Barrantes — rice dishes from Nicaragua (where Jack had proposed in front of a volcano), mini hamburgers from the U.S. where Eugenie’s employer, art gallery Hauser & Wirth is based.

There was Italian pizza and Spanish paella, while crepes from Switzerland represented Verbier, where the Duke and Duchess jointly own a £13 million chalet.

The couple’s friends Ellie Goulding and Robbie Williams — who was there with his wife Ayda Field (their daughter Theodora, six, was a bridesmaid) — both sang their hits. And the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra also performed, its programme including a composition, Twin Flame, by singer-songwriter Tanis Chalopin, written as a wedding present for the couple.

Critics have carped about the extravagance of the wedding — but of course the bride and groom’s families met those costs. As is standard at any gathering attended by the Queen, security costs fell to the taxpayer — as they did for Her Majesty’s other grandchildren’s weddings.

And there in the middle of it all was Fergie, centre stage after years of painful alienation. Today, her rehabilitation seems complete.

For three successive summers she has been to Balmoral; she regularly joins the Queen at Ascot and shares tea with Her Majesty at Windsor. And, of course, all the senior members of the Royal Family (Prince Philip prime among them) mustered for the wedding.

Only Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, was absent, honouring a long-standing promise to visit a tiny school in Scotland. Was Sarah offended? Not a whit!

‘I think it’s wonderful she kept to her engagement, especially as it was with children. She’s a wonderful lady and was a great friend of my mum,’ she says magnanimously.

And throughout the vicissitudes of the past two decades, her closeness to the Duke of York has remained unassailable. They share a home — Royal Lodge, Windsor — and have raised their well-adjusted daughters as a partnership.

I ask if she loves him. It seems the Fergie of 2018 has learned diplomacy and deftly side-steps the question, but replies: ‘We both say it. We are completely compatible. Our bywords are communication, compromise and compassion.

‘July 23, 1986 was the happiest day of my life. Andrew is the best man I know. What he does for Britain is incredible; no one knows how hard he works for his country.

5998246-0-image-a-53_1541799642951.jpg

The essence of Fergie, perhaps, is to be child-like and be released from the obligation to conform to adult expectations and conventions

‘My duty is to him. I am so proud of him. I stand by him and always will. The way we are is our fairy tale.

‘Although we are not a couple, we really believe in each other. The Yorks are a united family. We’ve shown it. You saw it at the wedding.

‘We stand up for each other, fight for each other. We’re totally respectful of each other’s position and thoughts and we listen to each other. Our children listen to us, too.

‘And we sit round the table and have afternoon tea together. It’s a very important part of our lives.’

The question has been raised many times: will they remarry? ‘So many people have asked me that, but we’re so happy with the way we are right now,’ she says. ‘We enjoy each other’s company; we allow each other to blossom. I know it sounds like a fairy tale but that’s the way we are.

5998698-0-image-m-61_1541800027025.jpg

Sarah Ferguson Duchess of York and Duke of York Prince Andrew leaving for the start of their honeymoon, Portsmouth, Britain - August 2 1986

‘And the Sunday after the wedding, I said to Eugenie and Jack: “Do you want to stay somewhere special?” No. They wanted to stay at Royal Lodge. So the night before their honeymoon, the whole family were eating pizza together in the kitchen.’

On her closeness to the Queen — who reportedly remarked that whatever Fergie has done, she has always been a good mother — she is judicious: ‘Her Majesty is the finest icon I’ve ever been lucky enough to share a room with. She’s the most exceptional Head of State, lady and mentor. I am very fortunate to know her.’

She is equally full of praise for Prince Philip, whom she describes as ‘an incredible man’. ‘I have huge respect for him and always admired him. It was a lovely photograph of us all together. It was very good to be with him again. My father and he used to play polo together. It brought back memories of that.’

It is for being a good mum that Fergie is justifiably celebrated. She says she and her daughters are a ‘tripod’ — an interdependent and solid threesome.

Over the years, the princesses have endured crushing criticism: Beatrice, particularly, has been vilified for her shape, size and dress sense.

The Duchess will not be drawn to comment, other than to say: ‘I am fiercely protective of my girls. I’m like a lioness.’

It’s indisputable, too, that the Yorks provide a paradigm on how to parent well after a divorce.

‘Of course we’re human, both Andrew and I, but when we walked through the door we never brought our adult problems to the children. This is always our rule.

‘And you’re always honest with your children. When they say, “Mummy, what’s happening?” you say, “It’s interesting you should ask the question,” and you explain in a way they can understand.

‘When my parents divorced, I didn’t have a parent who was telling me the truth. I found out in 1974 through a newspaper what was happening.

‘And I felt … I believed, that I had done something wrong. I think it’s really important that children don’t feel that. The fact that we divorced had absolutely nothing to do with the girls.

‘But I remember thinking I was responsible for my parents splitting up — because I’d cut my hair.’ She laughs ruefully at the memory. ‘And because I wasn’t good enough. And that was when I began to comfort eat, and why I’ve had a weight problem all my life.

‘It’s why I have total empathy with what it is like to be destroyed by self-hatred, because when you comfort eat you put on weight, and then beat yourself up for comfort eating. It is such a vicious circle.

‘I comfort-ate all my life from the age of 13. I started when I was at boarding school, when I heard my parents were getting divorced. I got up to 14-and-a-half stone.’

Today, she looks enviably slender in a flirty flared skirt teamed with Smythe jacket in racing green. The ‘soul-destroying’ Duchess of Pork jibes that dogged her when she was at her heaviest are now palpably inapplicable.

Her jewellery is trademark Fergie: a gold bracelet bearing her girls’ names picked out in diamond-encrusted capitals; a super-sized Remembrance Day poppy blooming from her lapel.

Once she has kicked off the Jimmy Choo heels she wears (at our request) for the photos, she slips, with relief, into flat velvet pumps embroidered with unicorns. They seem to sum up her spirit: fanciful, child-like, princessy. If you asked Fergie her favourite colour, she might well say ‘glitter’.

She seems an amalgam of contradictions: childlike but pragmatic; jolly yet reflective; robust and hearty at times, then fragile.

‘It has taken me 59 years, but I’m happy to own this sense of joy I feel now,’ she says. ‘My mantra is the Hs: honour, humility, hope and humour. If I have ever let anyone down, and I am sure I have done so at times, I have always tried to amend and do my best. I believe in forgiveness for myself and for others. It’s an important quality.’

She admits to having felt ‘sadness’ in her past but is careful to distinguish this from depression. When she feels low, she says, she has a strategy for coping. ‘I take a bit of quiet time; maybe watch a black and white movie and make myself cry even more. (Cary Grant is one of my heroes.) But I love to laugh, too. I find a sense of humour always helps.

‘As my grandmother would say, “This, too, shall pass.” She brought me up to clean my side of the street — by which she meant to forgive and never let the sun go down on an argument.’

I ask if she has learnt to cope with the loneliness of successive Christmases spent without her daughters. This year will be the 22nd, since her divorce, that her girls have gone to Sandringham to join the Royal Family, while she, uninvited, will stay home alone.

And once again, Sarah is generous-spirited. ‘I know that Her Majesty adores my children, so I am happy to share them — both in August and at Christmas.’

I ask if it breaks her heart to be a distant observer of this close, familial happiness, but she replies with customary bravado: ‘No! I am happy making other people happy. I really am like this. I love to share. It’s the joy of giving.’

5998696-0-image-m-63_1541800072107.jpg

Duke and Duchess of York with Princess Beatrice in the background at Royal Ascot, Day Four on June 22 2018

She gives a lot of time and energy to her charity work: she is an Ambassador for the British Heart Foundation and is talking to me today to promote the launch of Street Child, newly merged with the charity she set up in 1992, Children In Crisis. She is passionate about the role education plays in lifting people out of destitution. ‘At Street Child, we all believe that education is a fundamental right and that it is a scandal and a tragedy that there are 121 million school-aged children around the world who are not able to go to school,’ she says.

Tom Dannant, who established Street Child in 2008, says: ‘It’s a measure of the Duchess’s lack of ego that she was prepared to merge her charity with our faster-growing one. She thought it would pack a bigger punch and she could do more to help children that way.’

He reports, too, on her passion, stamina and willingness to endure privations. ‘Earlier this year, we drove through rough, winding roads in Nepal for ten hours, then stayed in a cockroach-infested hotel. She did it to reach the children in greatest need.’

I ask Sarah about this trip and she throws up her hands and laughs. ‘My father would have called it character-building,’ she says. ‘They shovelled me in a car and we wanted to find these children who literally had nothing.

5998752-0-image-m-65_1541800253278.jpg

Sarah, Duchess of York hugs family friend, Jessie Huberty, as she arrives to attend the wedding of Britain's Princess Eugenie of York to Jack Brooksbank at St George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, in Windsor, on October 12, 2018

‘The monsoon rains were coming, they had no food and the water they drank was polluted and infested with cobras. And the hotel was one of those where you sleep on your suitcase because it’s more comfortable than the bed.’

The charity will be building a school in this remote and impoverished outpost: Sarah has already forged links with some of the children it will educate. ‘My grandmother always used to say to me: “If you feel down about life, then go out and give to others”,’ she recalls.

And there is no doubt in my mind that Sarah’s compassion, her empathy — actually her love — for children is genuine. Visiting Julia’s House, a children’s hospice in Wiltshire with her, she blows in like a gust of fresh air, dispensing sweets and trinkets, joining a craft session, decorating a cake (with unicorns) and reading from one of her Budgie the Helicopter books.

Those who would decry her choice of reading material as opportunistic might do well to recognise that the stipend she received from the Royal Family after her divorce was reputedly just £15,000 a year. She needs to earn money, and does so through a series of creative enterprises.

She shows me her range of teas — ingeniously concocted to smell and taste like the deserts she adores (there’s jam roly-poly, chocolate tart, strawberries and cream) — which have helped her resist puddings and keep her weight down. (Some of the profits from sales will go to Street Child.)

She gently cajoles her young audience, remembering their names, chatting on their level.

Later she confides to a group of parents: ‘I prefer to be with children because I can be with my imagination. What I take away from any visit like this is the kindness, the love, the children and the total joy. I love the atmosphere and goodness here.’

I ask if she’s looking forward to being a grandmother. She laughs.

‘How many children’s books have I written? Twenty-two! Frances, I tell you, they’ll be older than me at age three! I’ll have more fun making the Barbie kit houses than the grandchildren will.’

This is, perhaps, the essence of Fergie: to be child-like is to be released from the obligation to conform to adult expectations and conventions. ‘When I got married people said: “You mustn’t make faces when you go out. You mustn’t do this or that.” But I just want to be myself. I’m 59 but I feel about eight years old.’

I leave the Duchess freighted with gifts from her. There’s a silk scarf (woven by trafficked women), a selection of her tea bags, china wedding mementoes, shortbread — a veritable goodie bag.

As she hugs me, she says, ‘I like to have harmony. People say it’s people pleasing, but it’s the way I like to be. It makes me feel good.’

To support the work of Street Child, visit www.street-child.co.uk

Read more: www.street-child.co.uk

Y aquí la traducción de Google:

"No estoy divorciada de Andrew, estoy divorciada con él": en su primera entrevista completa durante 20 años, Sarah Ferguson habla sobre sus problemas de peso, vida personal compleja, la boda de Eugenie ... y ESE rumor de nuevo matrimonio
  • Frances Hardy pasó dos días con Fergie para conocer a personalidad.
  • Ella informa que Fergie ha vuelto, con su sentido de travesura y diversión sin impedimentos
  • Ella habla sobre el Príncipe Philip, la Reina, Jack Brooksbank y el Príncipe Andrew
  • Fergie también se abre sobre sus años en el desierto y las batallas de imagen corporal
Por FRANCES HARDY PARA THE DAILY MAIL

PUBLICADO: 22:06, 9 de noviembre de 2018 | ACTUALIZADO: 23:32, 9 de noviembre de 2018

Solo los corazones más fríos podrían dejar de calentar a Sarah, duquesa de York. Dotty y generosa, está llena de energía y una alegría de vivir infantil.

"Oh, en todos los sentidos soy una niña", concuerda, con esa voz "elegante pero no suave" que recordamos tan bien de la primera vez que irrumpió en la Familia Real como una bola de demolición de pelo flameado en los años ochenta.

"Es quien soy. Me mete en un sinfín de problemas. La gente piensa que eres imposible o difícil si no pueden relacionarse contigo, si no te tomas la vida en serio. Pero la clave para mí es que veo la vida con la emoción y la alegría de un niño ".

¿No es ella? ¿Quién no se enamoró de ella otra vez (mientras sostenía una mano nerviosa sobre nuestros ojos) viéndola en la boda de su hija menor, la princesa Eugenie, con Jack Brooksbank el mes pasado? Allí estaba ella, rompiendo nuevamente con el protocolo para abrazar a los simpatizantes de la multitud antes de entrar a la Capilla de San Jorge, el Castillo de Windsor.

Y agitándose en su banca, expresándole a la princesa Beatrice que ya no podía contener más su barriga, antes de saludar con la mano a los amigos de la congregación.

Ese rayo nos dijo que Fergie está de vuelta, con su sentido de la travesura y la diversión sin límites: envuelta de nuevo en el abrazo público, reconciliada con la Familia Real después de años en el desierto.

La semana pasada, pasé dos días con ella y esta entrevista sin precedentes y el acceso excepcional, el más extenso en décadas, me dio una visión singular de su carácter.

Ella habla sobre su divorcio del Príncipe, que continúa desconcertando y fascinando 22 años después de que dejaron de ser marido y mujer: "Somos la pareja divorciada más feliz del mundo". Nos divorciamos el uno con otro, no el uno del otro ".

Ella describe, con magnanimidad, aquellos años salvajes que la dejaron en la situación surrealista de tener que ver a sus hijas en la televisión cada Navidad, ya que se unieron a los Reales en Sandringham, mientras ella seguía prohibida.

"Veré a Ben-Hur y realmente lo disfrutaré, luego veré las noticias y veré cómo están las chicas".

Y, por supuesto, ella comparte conmigo la emoción que siente cada madre de la novia cuando ve a una hija casarse. Ella todavía está chisporroteando de emoción.

"Siempre iba a las bodas y pensaba:" ¿Por qué llora la madre de la novia? ", Me dice. "Pero entiendo completamente por qué ahora. Es porque es increíble pensar que su hija ahora ha crecido, se está yendo de su casa y comienza su propia vida ".

"Me acabo de sentar en la capilla y todos me vieron decir" Phew "porque me las arreglé para no resbalar en mis tacones altos; luego miré hacia el otro lado y vi a mi hermana (Jane) y vi su cara y había lágrimas, y lo estoy haciendo otra vez, estoy brotando ahora ", dice, secándose los ojos con un pañuelo de lunares. .

Ahora, en su sexagésimo año, su cabello rojo natural de Tiziano no se ve afectado por el gris, sus asombrosas piernas aún son delgadas como las de una gacela, y sus simpáticas excentricidades no se ven afectadas por años de inhibición del protocolo real. Sarah Ferguson permanece magníficamente, sin disculpas, a sí misma.

La boda, el 12 de octubre, fue un día de extravagantes celebraciones en las que cada carruaje recibió a un invitado o una celebridad, y los seres queridos ausentes, entre ellos la difunta princesa Diana, estuvieron a la vanguardia de la mente de la duquesa.

"Pensé en amigos y familiares ausentes; de Diana - pero ella está conmigo todo el tiempo. Lo que más extraño es su risa tintineante.

"Diana era mi mejor amiga y la persona más divertida que conocía. Ella tenía tal tiempo e ingenio. "Fue una alegría total estar con ella porque solo nos reímos y disfrutamos mucho la vida, y sé que a ella le habría encantado la boda".

Encabezando la panoplia de miembros de la realeza, se encontraban la reina y el duque de Edimburgo, que asisten a los eventos "para ver cómo se siente en el día" ahora, y estuvo muy cerca de su antigua nuera por primera vez en 25 años.

Se dijo que no podía soportar estar en la misma habitación después de que Fergie "avergonzara" a la Familia Real con esas fotos infames de sus chupadas por el empresario estadounidense John Bryan, en el verano de 1992, mientras estaba separada de Prince Andrés.

Pero la mirada de la duquesa, por supuesto, estaba fija firmemente en su hija.

"Mi momento de mayor orgullo", dice ella, "era ver a Eugenie de pie, muy orgullosa de mostrar su cicatriz de escoliosis en su vestido de espalda baja. Fui a todas las pruebas del vestido y me senté allí radiante de alegría, y como no había velo, fue una declaración muy fuerte.

"Llamamos a la Capilla de San Jorge para asegurarnos de que no había una regla especial que especificara el uso de los velos, pero no la había y Eugenie solo quería ser ella misma.

"La diadema (prestada de la abuela) bailó con ella. Ella estaba tan radiante. Ella dijo: "Mamá, pensé que iba a tener nervios", pero no los tuvo.

"Ella y Jack están hechos el uno para el otro. La adora, y ahora tengo un hijo. Jack es como Zebedee. ¡Boing, boing! "Ella demuestra la energía del personaje de la rotonda mágica en su muelle en espiral.

"Será el mejor consorte que haya, como el Príncipe Alberto fue a la Reina Victoria. Sé que será ese tipo de pareja de amor ".

Hubo muchos momentos privados en la capilla, admite la duquesa, cuando sus ojos se llenaron de lágrimas y hubo formas sutiles en las que llevó consigo el espíritu de los seres queridos.

Su padre siempre la animaba a pensar en el personal de la sala de atrás. "Dijo:" Recuerda que la cocina es más importante que la mesa de comedor ", así que me aseguré de que la tienda de campaña de los chóferes tuviera muchas buenas notas, cafés y galletas, y coloqué la foto de mi padre porque sabía que él estaría diciendo: "Bien hecho".'

El comandante Ronald Ferguson murió en 2003 y su primera esposa Susan, la madre de Fergie, se mató en 1998, a los 61 años, en un accidente automovilístico en Argentina, donde vivía con su segundo marido, el jugador de polo Héctor Barrantes.

El bolso vintage de Manolo Blahnik que Fergie tenía en la boda pertenecía a su madre.

"Mamá había llevado el bolso en mi boda al príncipe Andrew y los boletos de admisión aún estaban allí. Eran verdes, por eso me puse verde el día. "Y la anciana en silla de ruedas a quien Sarah abrazó en la multitud fuera de la capilla, era la amiga de su madre, Jessie Huberty.

"Me había ido a vivir con ella a Nueva York durante seis semanas cuando tenía 19 años. Mi padre había dicho:" Estás demasiado mimada. Tienes que trabajar en América ", así que me quedé con Jessie y conseguí un trabajo limpiando baños para ganar lo suficiente para obtener un boleto de autobús de Greyhound".

Junto a Jessie estaba la Sherpa Gyalzen nepalí (Sarah también lo abrazó calurosamente), con quien había ascendido más allá del campamento base del Everest en 2000 para la caridad MacIntyre, que apoya a las personas con discapacidades de aprendizaje.

El sherpa, que trabajó para la duquesa durante algunos años, ahora vive en Nueva York con su esposa y su hijo, y viajó a Windsor especialmente para presenciar el gran día de la princesa Eugenia.

Para la fiesta en Royal Lodge el sábado, donde se sirvió comida de una serie de puestos, cada plato fue elegido por su especial significado para los recién casados y sus familias. Había carne argentina, en memoria de Susan Barrantes, platos de arroz de Nicaragua (donde Jack había pedido matrimonio frente a un volcán), mini hamburguesas de los Estados Unidos donde se encuentra la empresa de arte de Eugenie, la galería de arte Hauser & Wirth.

Había pizza italiana y paella española, mientras que los crepes de Suiza representaban a Verbier, donde el duque y la duquesa poseen conjuntamente un chalet de 13 millones de libras.

Los amigos de la pareja, Ellie Goulding y Robbie Williams, que estaba allí con su esposa Ayda Field (su hija Theodora, de seis años, era dama de honor), cantaron sus éxitos. Y también actuó la Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, cuyo programa incluye una composición, Twin Flame, del cantautor Tanis Chalopin, escrita como un regalo de bodas para la pareja.

Los críticos han criticado la extravagancia de la boda, pero, por supuesto, las familias de los novios cubrieron esos costos. Como es habitual en cualquier reunión a la que asiste la Reina, los costos de seguridad recayeron en el contribuyente, como sucedió con las bodas de los otros nietos de Su Majestad.

Y allí, en medio de todo, estaba Fergie, centro del escenario tras años de dolorosa alienación. Hoy, su rehabilitación parece completa.

Durante tres veranos sucesivos ha estado en Balmoral; regularmente se une a la Reina en Ascot y comparte el té con Su Majestad en Windsor. Y, por supuesto, todos los miembros de la familia real (el príncipe Philip entre ellos) se reunieron para la boda.

Solo Camilla, duquesa de Cornualles, estuvo ausente, cumpliendo con la promesa de visitar una pequeña escuela en Escocia. ¿Se ofendió Sarah? Ni un ápice!

"Creo que es maravilloso que mantuviera su compromiso, especialmente con los niños. Es una dama maravillosa y fue una gran amiga de mi madre ", dice magnánimamente.

Y a lo largo de las vicisitudes de las últimas dos décadas, su cercanía con el duque de York se ha mantenido incuestionable. Comparten una casa, Royal Lodge, Windsor, y han criado a sus equilibradas hijas en común.

Le pregunto si ella lo ama. Parece que la Fergie de 2018 ha aprendido diplomacia y hábilmente se hace a un lado de la pregunta, pero responde: "Ambos lo decimos. Somos completamente compatibles. Nuestros principios son la comunicación, el compromiso y la compasión.

El 23 de julio de 1986 fue el día más feliz de mi vida. Andrew es el mejor hombre que conozco. Lo que él hace por Gran Bretaña es increíble; Nadie sabe lo duro que trabaja para su país.

"Mi deber es para con él. Estoy muy orgullosa de él. Estoy a su lado y siempre lo estaré. La forma en que somos es nuestro cuento de hadas.

"Aunque no somos una pareja, realmente creemos el uno en el otro. Los York somos una familia unida. Lo hemos demostrado. Lo viste en la boda.

"Nos defendemos unos a otros, luchamos unos por otros. Somos totalmente respetuosos con la posición y los pensamientos de cada uno y nos escuchamos unos a otros. Nuestras hijas también nos escuchan.

"Y nos sentamos alrededor de la mesa y tomamos el té de la tarde juntos. Es una parte muy importante de nuestras vidas ".

La pregunta se ha planteado muchas veces: ¿Se volverán a casar? "Muchas personas me han preguntado eso, pero estamos muy felices con la forma en que estamos ahora", dice ella. "Disfrutamos de la compañía del otro; Nos dejamos florecer unos a otros. Sé que suena como un cuento de hadas, pero así somos.

"Y el domingo después de la boda, le dije a Eugenie y Jack:" ¿Quieres quedarte en un lugar especial? "No. Ellos querían quedarse en Royal Lodge. Así que la noche antes de su luna de miel, toda la familia estaba comiendo pizza juntos en la cocina ".

Por su cercanía con la Reina, que supuestamente comentó que haya hecho Fergie lo que haya hecho, siempre ha sido una buena madre, es juiciosa: "Su Majestad es el mejor icono con el que he tenido la suerte de compartir una habitación. Es la jefa de Estado más excepcional, señora y mentora. Soy muy afortunado de conocerla ".

Ella está igualmente llena de elogios para el Príncipe Philip, a quien describe como "un hombre increíble". "Tengo un gran respeto por él y siempre lo admiré. Era una hermosa fotografía de todos juntos. Fue muy bueno estar con él de nuevo. Mi padre y él jugaban al polo juntos. Me trajo recuerdos de eso ".

Es por ser una buena madre que Fergie es justamente celebrada. Ella dice que ella y sus hijas son un "trípode", un trío sólido e interdependiente.

A lo largo de los años, las princesas han sufrido críticas aplastantes: Beatrice, particularmente, ha sido vilipendiada por su forma, tamaño y sentido del vestido.

La duquesa no se sentirá atraída a comentar, más que decir: "Soy ferozmente protectora con mis chicas". Soy como una leona ".

Es indiscutible, también, que los York proporcionan un paradigma sobre cómo criar bien después de un divorcio.

"Por supuesto que somos humanos, tanto Andrew como yo, pero cuando entramos por la puerta nunca trajimos nuestros problemas adultos a los niños. Esta es siempre nuestra regla.

"Y siempre eres honesto con tus hijos. Cuando dicen: "Mamá, ¿qué está pasando?", Dices: "Es interesante que hagas esa pregunta" y explicas de una manera que puedan entender.

"Cuando mis padres se divorciaron, no tuve un padre que me dijera la verdad. Descubrí en 1974 a través de un periódico lo que estaba pasando.

"Y sentí ... creí, que había hecho algo mal. Creo que es realmente importante que los niños no sientan eso. El hecho de que nos divorciamos no tuvo absolutamente nada que ver con las chicas.

"Pero recuerdo que pensé que era responsable de que mis padres se separaran, porque me había cortado el pelo". Ella se ríe tristemente por el recuerdo. "Y porque no era lo suficientemente buena. Y fue entonces cuando comencé a consolar a comer, y por eso he tenido un problema de peso toda mi vida.

"Es por eso que tengo total empatía con lo que es ser destruido por el odio a uno mismo, porque cuando te consolas, aumentas de peso y luego te castigas para comer cómodamente". Es un círculo tan vicioso.

"Me comí toda la vida desde los 13 años. Comencé cuando estaba en un internado, cuando escuché que mis padres se estaban divorciando". Llegué a pesar 92 kilos".

Hoy, ella se ve envidiablemente delgada con una falda acampanada coqueta combinada con la chaqueta Smythe en verde de carreras. La "Duquesa del cerdo" que destruye el alma y que la persiguió cuando estaba en su momento de mayor peso ahora es palpablemente inaplicable.

Su joyería es una marca registrada de Fergie: un brazalete de oro con los nombres de sus hijas escogidas en capiteles con diamantes incrustados; una gran amapola del Día del Recuerdo que florece de su solapa.

Una vez que se quita los tacones Jimmy Choo que usa (a petición nuestra) para las fotos, se desliza, con alivio, en zapatos de terciopelo planos bordados con unicornios. Parecen resumir su espíritu: fantasioso, como un niño, una princesa. Si le preguntas a Fergie su color favorito, bien podría decir "brillo".

Parece una amalgama de contradicciones: infantil pero pragmática; alegre pero reflexivo Robusto y caluroso a veces, luego frágil.

"Me ha llevado 59 años, pero estoy feliz de tener este sentimiento de alegría que siento ahora", dice. "Mi mantra es el Hs: honor, humildad, esperanza y humor. Si alguna vez he decepcionado a alguien, y estoy seguro de que lo he hecho a veces, siempre he tratado de enmendarme y hacer lo mejor que puedo. Creo en el perdón para mí y para los demás. Es una cualidad importante ".

Ella admite haber sentido "tristeza" en su pasado, pero tiene cuidado de distinguir esto de la depresión. Cuando se siente triste, dice, tiene una estrategia para sobrellevar la situación. "Me tomo un poco de tiempo tranquilo; Tal vez vea una película en blanco y negro y me haga llorar aún más. (Cary Grant es uno de mis héroes.) Pero también me encanta reír. Encuentro que el sentido del humor siempre ayuda.

"Como diría mi abuela:" Esto también pasará ". Ella me enseñó a limpiar mi lado de la calle, lo que significaba perdonar y nunca dejar que el sol se pusiera a discutir".

Le pregunto si ella ha aprendido a lidiar con la soledad de las sucesivas navidades pasadas sin sus hijas. Este año será el 22, desde su divorcio, que sus niñas han ido a Sandringham para unirse a la Familia Real, mientras que ella, sin ser invitada, se quedará sola en casa.

Y una vez más, Sarah es generosa. "Sé que Su Majestad adora a mis hijas, por eso me complace compartirlas, tanto en agosto como en Navidad".

Le pregunto si le rompe el corazón ser un observador distante de esta felicidad cercana y familiar, pero ella responde con la bravuconada costumbre: "¡No! Estoy feliz haciendo felices a otras personas. Realmente soy así. Me encanta compartir Es la alegría de dar ".

Da mucho tiempo y energía a su trabajo de caridad: es Embajadora de la British Heart Foundation y me está hablando hoy para promover el lanzamiento de Street Child, recién fusionada con la organización de caridad que creó en 1992, Children In Crisis. . Le apasiona el papel que desempeña la educación para sacar a la gente de la miseria. "En Street Child, todos creemos que la educación es un derecho fundamental y que es un escándalo y una tragedia que haya 121 millones de niños en edad escolar en todo el mundo que no pueden ir a la escuela", dice.

Tom Dannant, quien estableció Street Child en 2008, dice: "Es una medida de la falta de ego de la duquesa que estaba preparada para fusionar su caridad con la nuestra que crece más rápido". Ella pensó que sería un golpe más fuerte y podría hacer más para ayudar a los niños de esa manera ".

También informa sobre su pasión, resistencia y disposición para soportar las privaciones. "A principios de este año, condujimos a través de caminos sinuosos y sinuosos en Nepal durante diez horas, luego nos quedamos en un hotel infestado de cucarachas. Lo hizo para llegar a los niños más necesitados ".

Le pregunto a Sarah sobre este viaje y ella levanta las manos y se ríe. "Mi padre lo habría llamado formación de carácter", dice ella. "Me metieron en un auto y queríamos encontrar a estos niños que literalmente no tenían nada.

"Las lluvias monzónicas venían, no tenían comida y el agua que bebían estaba contaminada e infestada de cobras. Y el hotel fue uno de esos donde duermes en tu maleta porque es más cómodo que la cama ".

La organización de caridad construirá una escuela en este remoto y empobrecido puesto de avanzada: Sarah ya ha establecido vínculos con algunos de los niños que educará. "Mi abuela siempre solía decirme:" Si te sientes mal por la vida, entonces sal y dáselo a los demás", recuerda.

Y no tengo ninguna duda de que la compasión de Sarah, su empatía, en realidad su amor por los niños, es genuina. Visitando Julia's House, un hospicio para niños en Wiltshire con ella, sopla como una ráfaga de aire fresco, distribuye dulces y chucherías, se une a una sesión de manualidades, adorna un pastel (con unicornios) y lee en uno de sus libros de Budgie el helicóptero.

Aquellos que denuncien su elección de material de lectura como oportunista deberían recordar que el estipendio que recibió de la Familia Real después de su divorcio supuestamente fue de 15.000£ al año. Ella necesita ganar dinero, y lo hace a través de una serie de empresas creativas.

Ella me muestra su variedad de tés, ingeniosamente preparados para oler y saborear como los postres que adora (hay mermelada de roly-poly, tarta de chocolate, fresas y crema), que le han ayudado a resistir los postres y mantener su peso bajo. (Algunas de las ganancias de las ventas se destinarán a Street Child).

Ella engatusa suavemente a su joven audiencia, recordando sus nombres, charlando en su nivel.

Más tarde, ella confía a un grupo de padres: "Prefiero estar con niños porque puedo estar con mi imaginación. Lo que me llevo de estas visitas es la amabilidad, el amor, los niños y la alegría total. Me encanta el ambiente y la bondad aquí ".

Le pregunto si está deseando ser abuela. Ella ríe.

"¿Cuántos libros de niños he escrito? ¡Veintidós! Frances, te digo que serán mayores que yo a los tres años. Me divertiré más haciendo las casas de los sets de Barbie que los nietos ".

Esta es, quizás, la esencia de Fergie: ser como un niño es liberarse de la obligación de cumplir con las expectativas y convenciones de los adultos. "Cuando me casé, la gente dijo:" No debes hacer muecas cuando sales. No debes hacer esto o aquello ". Pero solo quiero ser yo misma. Tengo 59 años, pero me siento como de ocho años ".

Dejo a la duquesa cargada de regalos de ella. Hay fulard de seda (tejido por mujeres traficadas), una selección de sus bolsitas de té, recuerdos de boda de porcelana, galletas de mantequilla, una verdadera bolsa de regalos.

Mientras me abraza, dice: "Me gusta tener armonía. La gente dice que es agradable a la gente, pero así es como me gusta ser. Me hace sentir bien.'

Para apoyar el trabajo de Street Child, visite www.street-child.co.uk

Leer más: www.street-child.co.uk

Sabe, eu gosto muito de Sarah...por que ela é isso que vimos. E mais ela não nega quem ela é....
E acho que ela e Andrew podem ter todos os defeitos, mas como pais fizeram muito bem....eles conseguiram manter uma unidade familiar unida e solida.
As vezes tenho impressão que todos podem ser perdoados na família real por seus diversos deslizes (Charles, Camila, Sophie, Philip, Harry) mas Sarah sempre vai ser condenada...

Yo le admiro como ha tenido a su familia unida, pero nunca he soportado como ha utilizado su nexo con la FR para obtener prebendas, como ha utilizado a sus propias hijas para obtener notoriedad y publicitarse, como menciona a Diana cada vez que puede porque sabe que eso le traerá el beneplácito de muchos, cuando es por todos sabido que tenían mucho tiempo sin siquiera dirigirse la palabra.

Ahora está aprovechando el tirón mediático de la boda de su propia hija.

Siempre he pensado que demasiado buenas salieron la York.

A mi me agrada esta Sarah madura, creo que se ha reinventado y está atravesando el mejor momento de su vida. La veo en paz y centrada. Siempre he admirado como han sabido mantener unida a la familia, son una piña los cuatro y se nota que ella y Andrés se quieren, por algo ninguno ha vuelto a formar pareja. Se entienden y han llegado a un acuerdo ideal que al menos para ellos funciona. También me gusta que siempre desdramatice y tenga un espléndido sentido del humor.

Me gusto mucho la entrevista... habla de todos un poco..... como llevo la cartera de su madre y como recuerda a su padre.. es algo bonito......

a pesar que diana siempre sera querida, creo que noto al diferencia entre una y la otra.... fergie siempre ha hablado pero lo hace meticulosamente... Diana no se guardo nada................

Lo que dices es cierto con matices querida, para ser justos con la Duquesa de York, cuando se divorció en 1996, de las negociaciones del acuerdo de divorcio se encargó la propia Reina, recibiendo "sólo":
-500000£ con la condición de invertirlas en la compra de una vivienda acorde con su rango de Alteza Real, que conservó hasta unos meses después del divorcio, concretamente hasta el 24 de agosto de ese año, dos días antes del divorcio del Príncipe de Gales , cuando se emitió una Carta Patente para evitar que la Princesa de Gales conservara dicho rango, lo que afectó de "rebote" a la Duquesa de York.
-350000£ a emplear como considerase oportuno.
-15000£ anuales para su sustento.
-Compromiso del Duque de York de pagar el colegio privado de las Princesas.
-1400000£ para la creación de un fondo fiduciario a beneficio de las Princesas de York,a rescatar cuando la menor de ellas cumpla 30 años.
A cambio de firmar este acuerdo, la Reina la autorizaba a publicar un libro cuyo contenido sería supervisado por asesores de la Corona antes de su publicación, además se le permitía realizar cuantas entrevistas y declaraciones considerase oportuno hablando de su matrimonio y la Familia Real, siempre y cuando su contenido fuese decoroso y respetuoso.
Podría haber obtenido muchos más beneficios, económicos y de todo tipo pero hubiese tenido que firmar un acuerdo de confidencialidad y renunciar a la custodia compartida de las Princesas de York con un régimen de visitas muy restringido para ella, por ésta última cláusula, que la Princesa de Gales si firmó en su divorcio, se negó a un acuerdo que le hubiese solucionado la vida, financieramente hablando.

Es que yo no estoy hablando de lo que recibió o no recibió. Eso ni lo mencioné en mi post.

Hablo de sus acciones no muy "éticas" prometiendo acceso a Andrew a cambio de dinero, paseándose con el bolso con la foto de sus hijas para recordar a todo el mundo que ella es madre de dos nietas de la reina. Un poco al estilo de Tessy de Luxemburgo que publicita a sus hijos, para recordar que es madre de príncipes.
Recuerdo un programa de Sarah en el que salió Beatrice llorando y todo y me pareció una manipulación horrible de parte de ella, ya que se ve que sus hijas la adoran.
Yo no soy fan de Diana y cualquier forer@ de varios años puede atestiguarlo, pero igual me parece que mencionarla cada vez que le ponen una cámara o micrófono al frente, es muy bajo, porque lo que quiere es usar cualquier atractivo de Diana para que por asociación le caiga a ella.

Reclamar en cuanta entrevista, casi que lloriqueando, que no la invitaron a la boda de William y Kate, cuando ella no es más que la ex del tío del William.

Y si hablamos de sus finanzas, realmente Andrew le ha brindado casa y apoyo por siempre, pero ella como que no sabe mantenerse dentro del presupuesto de lo que debe administrar .

Back