Camilo Sesto: su vida, canciones, muerte y herencia

A pesar de su buen aspecto juvenil y de su excelente voz Camilo no acabó de funcionar como cantante-galán. Se le intuía rarito y con un poco de pluma. Julio Iglesias, menos guapo y con menos voz, era mucho más creíble como semental.

Creo que España no ha sido justa con Camilo ni con Rocío Durcal por poner solo dos ejemplos. No valoramos lo nuestro y tenemos el complejo de que lo anglosajón mola más y es más moderno. Yo creo que Sabina es mejor que Dylan. Y Camilo que Bowie.

Para mí todas la canciones de Camilo son de lo mejor. Me gustan todas. Desde pequeña en casa se escuchaba Camilo y yo ya de mayor me he pasado horas trabajando y con los auriculares escuchando a Camilo Sesto en bucle.
Yo lo encontraba muy guapete de joven.
No supo envejecer con dignidad, con lo mono que hubiera estado con canas, arrugas y con calvotera. Pero así era Camilo.
Lo que nunca entendí es que pasó con Lourdes Ornells, la madre de su hijo. Pero eso es de su vida privada y bueno, pues cada uno tiene sus historias.

A pesar de su buen aspecto juvenil y de su excelente voz Camilo no acabó de funcionar como cantante-galán. Se le intuía rarito y con un poco de pluma. Julio Iglesias, menos guapo y con menos voz, era mucho más creíble como semental.

Creo que España no ha sido justa con Camilo ni con Rocío Durcal por poner solo dos ejemplos. No valoramos lo nuestro y tenemos el complejo de que lo anglosajón mola más y es más moderno. Yo creo que Sabina es mejor que Dylan. Y Camilo que Bowie.
uff, lo de Sabina no te lo voy a discutir, porque Dylan como letrista, vale, pero su música es muy repetitiva.

Pero comparar a Camilo con Bowie..... EL duque es mucho Bowie, que Camilo tuviese mejor voz no te lo discuto, pero Bowie se reinventó una y mil veces y ya incluso al final se marcó un par de discazos de órdago, a parte que siempre fue visionario colaborando con grupos punteros, es famoso que mandó a los coldplay a pastar y sin embargo colaboró con Placebo, Suede y Arcade Fire, Camilo hizo algo con la casa azul pero ejem, no es comparable y mira que me gustan............Camilo tuvo un decline regulero, seguramente por salud y muy freak que igual es normal teniendo en cuenta el exitazo que tuvo,,,,,,,,,,,,

Una vez dicho esto hay obituarios dedicados a Camilo en toda la prensa anglosajona desde el New York Times al People, sólo cuando se muera Julio o Plácido (tan en boga ultimamente) se hará algo similar.

Había sido un cantante tan magnifico en su día; daba mucha pena ver su declive imparable, sus desastrosos arreglos estéticos, como se le estaba yendo -o de hecho, se le había ido- la cabeza, sus intentos por recobrar un lugar en el panorama musical.

DEP Camilo.Los que te oímos cantar, no olvidaremos tu voz

Camilo Sesto, Towering Icon of Romantic Spanish Pop, Dead at 72
9/8/2019 by Leila Cobo

• EMAIL ME

camilo-sesto-billboard-1548.jpg

Carlos R. Alvarez/WireImage
Camilo Sesto presents his new album 'Camilo Sinfonico' at the Florida Park Club on Nov. 20, 2018 in Madrid, Spain.

Spanish singer Camilo Sesto, one of the towering voices of Latin pop and a superstar of the 1970s and 1980s, has died, according to a post on his official twitter account. The singer was 72 years old.

Although the cause of his death hasn’t been made public, Sesto had a liver transplant in 2001 and has had occasional health problems through the years. He was active musically, however: an album is slated for release September 13, and Sesto was also scheduled to tour the U.S. extensively, beginning with a show at Coliseo de Puerto Rico October 3, and then continuing through six October dates, including October 25 at the Microsoft Theater.

Queridos amigos & amigas
Lamentamos mucho comunicaros que nuestro gran y querido artista Camilo Sesto nos acaba de dejar.
Descanse en paz

— Camilo Sesto (@CamiloSesto) September 8, 2019
Sesto, whose shaggy hair, green eyes and boyish good looks were almost at odds with his powerful voice, was not only a singer, but also a producer and songwriter who penned most of his songs. That, in itself, was an oddity at a time when the big balladeers were singing material others wrote.

“Most didn’t do what I did,” Sesto said in an interview with El Pais in Spain last December. “The only thing I needed was a kiosk to sell records. I have a diploma for honors in literature, Spanish and grammar from when I was 10 years old. It was good for something.”

Sesto’s first major hit, “Algo de mi” ("Something") with its changing tempos, sweeping string arrangements, multi-octave range and dramatic lyrics (“Something in me is slowly dying, I want to live, I want to live, learn why you’re leaving me, love”) set the template for a string of successes. They included dramatic ballads like "Quieres Ser Mi Amante?" ("Do You Want to be My Lover?") and “Vivir Así es morir de amor” ("To live like this is to die of love"), which have become standards of the Spanish-language romantic songbook.

Sesto also gained notoriety playing the role of Jesus Christ Superstar in the Spanish version of the play, Jesucristo Superstar, in 1975. Sesto financed the theatrical production in full and went on the record and produce the album, with Angela Carrasco playing Mary Magdalene and Teddy Bautista (who would later become president of SGAE), arranging and playing the role of Judas.

A prolific recording artist, Sesto would go on to sell over 180 million albums worldwide thanks to his songs that traveled effortlessly across continents. No Latin American who grew up in the '70s or '80s was unfamiliar with his music. Or as one fan posted on twitter: “We were all Camilo Sesto in some karaoke.”

El obituario de Billboard, en todas partes recalcan que además de cantar compusiese, que es lo raro. La última frase me encanta. A ningún latinoamericano que creciera en los 70 y los 80 le era desconocida su música. Ciertísimo

Excelso mi Camilo Sesto!! grande entre los grandes, quien no se sabe sus canciones, y ha puesto en el auto sus himnos, ..."Tarde o temprano"
y las de su autoría interpretadas por otros artistas "Atada a nada"...
Que el cielo te acoja porque en nuestra mente y corazones seguirás también.

Con Lourdes Ornelas, que era la presidenta de su club de fans, madre d esu hijo, los presentó otra estrella Lucía Méndez, quién no habría querido un hijo de él.
camilo-hijo-640-1.jpg

Una vez dicho esto hay obituarios dedicados a Camilo en toda la prensa anglosajona desde el New York Times al People, sólo cuando se muera Julio o Plácido (tan en boga ultimamente) se hará algo similar.
Camilo Sesto, Spain’s Romantic Hitmaker, Is Dead at 72
merlin_160411686_6a1dd76f-bb4b-476f-b054-7eeccb138a1c-articleLarge.jpg

merlin_160411686_6a1dd76f-bb4b-476f-b054-7eeccb138a1c-articleLarge.jpg

Camilo Sesto in 2009 at a news conference in Mexico City. He sold millions of records worldwide and had more than 50 No.1 hits.CreditCreditGregory Bull/Associated Press

By Jon Pareles

• Sept. 8, 2019

Leer en español
Camilo Sesto, a Spanish songwriter, singer and producer whose romantic songs have sold more than 180 million copies worldwide, died on Sunday in Madrid. He was 72 and lived in Madrid.

His manager, Eduardo Guervós, told the Spanish public broadcaster TVE that he had died in a hospital after suffering two heart attacks, The Associated Press reported. In recent years he had also struggled with kidney problems.

With a tenor voice that could be gentle and imploring and then rise to impassioned peaks, Mr. Sesto became a pop superstar across the Spanish-speaking world in the 1970s. In hits like the wall-of-sound 1978 pop production “Vivir Así Es Morir de Amor” (“To Live Like This Is To Die of Love”), he sang about romance, longing and heartache. He garnered more than 50 No. 1 hits worldwide. Mr. Sesto wrote nearly all of the songs he recorded on more than two dozen albums, and he also wrote and produced hits for Spanish and Latin American pop singers including Miguel Bosé, José José and Ángela Carrasco.

Camilo Blanes Cortés was born on Sept. 16, 1946, in the town of Alcoy in the province of Alicante. As a child he sang at weddings and christenings. In the mid-1960s, he joined Beatles-style rock bands that brought him to Madrid: Los Dayson and Los Botines. He started a solo career with the producer and songwriter Juan Pardo as a mentor, changing his name first to Camilo Sexto and then to Camilo Sesto; “sexto” is Spanish for “sixth,” and he was the sixth Camilo Blanes in his family.

“Algo de Mi” (“Something of Me”) became Mr. Sesto’s first No. 1 hit in 1972, inaugurating a two-decade outpouring of hits, including “Algo Más” (“Something More”), “Perdóname” (“Forgive Me”), “¿Quieres Ser Mi Amante?” (“Do You Want to Be My Lover?”), “Donde Estés, Con Quién Estés” (“Wherever You Are, Whomever You’re With”) and “Amor Mío, ¿Qué Me Has Hecho?” (“My Love, What Have You Done to Me?”).

In 1975 he starred in a Spanish-language adaptation of Andrew Lloyd Webber’s “Jesus Christ Superstar” in Madrid, financing the production and playing the title role, bringing Broadway-style musical theater to Spain and demonstrating his abilities as both singer and actor. His touring circuit expanded to arenas worldwide, including a devoted following in Japan.

• Unlock more free articles.
Create an account or log in
He never married. “A life like the one I have had, jumping from one place to another, cannot be endured by anyone, let alone a woman,” he told the Spanish newspaper El País in a 2018 interview. But in 1983 he had a son with the Mexican actress Lourdes Ornelas: Camilo Blanes, who survives him.

Despite health problems, including a liver transplant in the early 2000s, Mr. Sesto had remained active. Last year he released a retrospective album, “Camilo Sinfónico,” which placed new, transformed orchestral arrangements behind vocals from his hits. Although he played a two-year farewell world tour from 2009 to 2011, he had scheduled a new United States tour in October.

Pedro Sánchez, the prime minister of Spain, wrote on Twitter that Mr. Sesto was “one of the most beloved and universal artists,” adding, “his melodies will always be part of our memory.”

A version of this article appears in print on Sept. 9, 2019, Section A, Page 28 of the New York edition with the headline: Camilo Sesto, 72, Spanish Pop Star With Over 50 No. 1 Hits. Order Reprints | Today’s Paper | Subscribe

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/08/obituaries/camilo-sesto-dead.html

Latin Pop Icon Camilo Sesto Dies at 72, Days Before Release of New Album
"His melodies will always be part of our memory," Spain's prime minister wrote on Twitter

By Claudia Harmata
September 08, 2019 02:30 PM
FBTwitter

CARLOS R. ALVAREZ/WIREIMAGE
Spanish singer and songwriter Camilo Sesto has died at the age of 72.

Sesto, who was born Camilo Blanes Cortés, died early Sunday morning, according to his manager Eduardo Guervós, who confirmed his death with Spanish public broadcaster RTVE. Guervós said the famed singer died after suffering two heart attacks after his health “deteriorated” following his kidney complications last year.

Sesto died at the Hospital Universitario Quirónsalud Madrid.

His death was also confirmed with a post to his official Twitter account, originally written in Spanish.

“Dear friends We are very sorry to inform you that our great and dear artist Camilo Sesto has just left us,” the statement read. “Rest in peace.”

Sesto rose to popularity as a powerful voice and superstar of in Latin pop in the 1970s and 1980s. He was still musically active, with a new album set to release on Sept. 13, according to Billboard.

He was also scheduled to tour the U.S. this upcoming fall, with his opening performance at Coliseo de Puerto Rico on October 3. The “Perdóname” singer then had six more October dates, including October 25 at the Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles.

“Spain and all of Latin America mourn the loss of Camilo Sesto,” Spain’s prime minister, Pedro Sánchez, tweeted in Spanish. “His melodies will always be part of our memory.”

https://people.com/music/camilo-sesto-dead-at-72/

Mortuary Chapel Of Camilo Sesto
Personnes : Luis Cobos

Personnes : Andrea Levy

Personnes : Ángela Carrasco